Photo Galleries

You can browse photos as a slide show or look at them as pop outs from the gallery by clicking the options shown bottom left by each photo gallery.

If you have any good local photos we can add please do send them via info@kingslandlife.com  Thanks!

Home » Photo Galleries » Old Kingsland
 The Elms, Kingsland
The Elms, Kingsland
'This picture shows The Elms and was taken before 1907. It shows Samuel and Ellen Small with, the contributor believes, two of their daughters, Ellen Kezia and Selina. It was sent as a postcard at Christmas 1906 from Selina to her 'dear sister Nellie' (that is Ellen Kezia) with 'kind remembrances and every good wish for Xmas and the New Year'. You can read more about Samuel and Ellen Small, who are buried at the Methodist Chapel, on our Memories from the Past page.'
0
Kingsland Railway Station 1910
0
Kingsland Station - What A Beautiful Railway Station (Photo Courtesy of M Sampson)
0
The old gates and railway station in Kingsland - sometime post-Beeching as the track no longer exists ! Clearly, Kingsland was quite a large station. (Photo courtesy of M Sampson)
0
The Band Marching through Kingsland, Leominster
0
Entrance to Holgate Farm - Somewhere about 1760 it was apparently a dying tree, the trunk a mere shell hollow to the ground, and the walls nowhere more than three inches in thickness. It was decided to cut openings at front and back and use the framework as a support for a wicket gate although the tree was so top-heavy that it did not seem possible that it could stand up to many more gales. It has been in its present condition for well over 200 years! (Published by Edgefield, Kingsland Tel 01568 708320) : Postcard courtesy of A. Roberts
0
View of Kingsland Village in the 1920s
0
Kingsland Floods (at Rectory Corner near the Fire Station) Photo courtesy of M. Sampson
0
Brick House 1933 © Robert Knowles
0
Plenty of Parking for the Horses at Kingsland Railway Station, Herefordshire (Photo courtesy of M Sampson)
0
A Lovely Old Scene of the Village Stores, Kingsland, Herefordshire (Photo courtesy of M Sampson)
0
Brick House 1877 © Robert Knowles - Brick House, Grade II listed, is probably in its fourth century (the exact date of its construction is not known). Many of its present features (party walls, windows, staircases, fireplaces etc.) represent successive stages of modification and improvement carried out over the years. A second East Wing was built parallel to the street in the 18th century. This wing (shown above) lasted until the 1920's when it was pulled down by Hunchy Pritchard (he also covered the walls of the main house with pebble dash !). The Rosary, Saltash and Sunnybank were built on what had been Brick House land. The original house was a timber-framed structure and the timber framing is still in situ at the rear of the house. The oldest part of the building is at the street-end of the North Wing where the structural timbers are really massive. In the 1920's, part of the house was used as the Headquarters and Social Club for the Temperance Movement in the village!! In the 1930's, part of the ground floor was used as a post-office and mail sorting office (the postmaster, Mr. Williams living in the rest of the house). The Post Office vacated the building before 1939. Also at this time, the lower floor of the wing was used as an office by local authority surveyors - a separate street entrance being provided. During the second world war the surveyors office was in use as the village telephone exchange. (Apologies for this brief history of a property going back many years) : Modified extracts from Cuckoo Call, 1978, Editor Peter Faulkner, Cuckoo's Nest, Kingsland
0
A Great Photo of Bell House in 1905 when it was the Bell Inn
0
Old Photo taken looking East with the Post Office covered in Ivy, Angel House and a residence which is now the Angel Inn. Photo courtesy of Malcolm Sampson.
0
The Poor House - Right in the centre of the old village, mainly 17th century and with a late 20th extension. Photo taken in March 2012. See also http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Leominster/ for more about Almshouses and Poor Houses in the Leominster area.
0
Old view of Kingsland Rectory (Postcard courtesy of A. Roberts)
0
Post Office and Workers - Old view of Kingsland Post Office & Workers (Postcard courtesy of A. Roberts & Published by Edgefield, Kingsland Tel 01568 708320 )
0
Old View of Kingsland Village Ivy House & Ivy Cottage leading on to what is now the Millennium Green (Postcard courtesy of A. Roberts & Published by Edgefield, Kingsland Tel 01568 708320)
0
Another View of Kingsland Old Houses - Photo taken looking East (Bell House on right) (Postcard courtesy of A. Roberts & Published by Edgefield, Kingsland Tel 01568 708320)
0
Old Cobnash in the Parish of Kingsland, Herefordshire (Postcard courtesy of A. Roberts)
0
Picture of Markhams Garage when it was a Thatched House; note the petrol pump behind. (Photo courtesy of M Sampson)
0
Croase House, one of many old houses in the Village Centre
Kingsland Gift of Beef
Kingsland Gift of Beef
A postcard undated. Any information on who, when and where gratefully received! Courtesy of Frank Kenward
A view from late 50s/early 60s
A view from late 50s/early 60s
A postcard sent in 1963 : Courtesy of Frank Kenward