Photo Galleries

You can browse photos as a slide show or look at them as pop outs from the gallery by clicking the options shown bottom left by each photo gallery.

If you have any good local photos we can add please do send them via info@kingslandlife.com  Thanks!

Copyright reminder – as for all pictures on this website, please do not reproduce or use these pictures without the permission of the lender and/or copyright holder

Home » Photo Galleries » Kingsland Old Timers
Village postmen; courtesy of Malcolm Sampson
Village postmen; courtesy of Malcolm Sampson
Village Postmen About to Start Off on their Round (presumably this photo was taken after that of Mr Sankey with his bell !). In 1885 the Post Office was at the house known as Grey Cote, and the postmaster was Thomas Dunn. He also carried on a business as a shoemaker. He died in 1906 and the Post Office went across the road to Mrs. Breakwell at Vartry House.
A parade through the village; Photo Courtesy Malcolm Sampson
A parade through the village; Photo Courtesy Malcolm Sampson
A Parade Through the Street of Kingsland - Can Anyone Tell Us Who and Why? - It was probably on the day the Coronation Hall was officially opened. The band would have turned right up the church drive and then gone into The Greens where there were lots of festivities and celebrations taking place. Would this have been 1953/4? Gordon E Roberts (16th Sept 2012) :
Mr Sankey the postman; Photo Courtesy M. Sampson
Mr Sankey the postman; Photo Courtesy M. Sampson
A nice picture of the Postman Mr Sankey He used to blow a small horn at each end of the village and people would come for their post. The horn is still in the Sankey family possession.
Workers from G. Lewis & Sons Waggon Works, Kingsland; Photo Courtesy M. Sampson
Workers from G. Lewis & Sons Waggon Works, Kingsland; Photo Courtesy M. Sampson
The Jubilee Wagon Works for many years employed a number of men - blacksmiths, carpenters and wheelwrights. The works yard is now the house called The Garth. Here the famous Jubilee wagons were made for which the proprietor George Lewis was awarded a bronze medal by the Herefordshire Agricultural Society in 1881.
Kingsland Cricket Club - courtesy of Cliff Davis
Kingsland Cricket Club - courtesy of Cliff Davis
The picture shows: Capt. Wickham, Bob Whittall, Hugh Lyke, Percy Pudge, George Wall, Cliff Davis, Fred (Dakie) Davies, Arthur Sankey, Lynne Jones, Ray Jones (Capt.), Robin East, John Williams. Many thanks to Cliff Davis for providing the photo and memories and for Kenyon Jones (Lynne Jones' brother) for providing the date - between 1955-60
Comic Football Match in Kingsland; Photo Courtesy M. Sampson
Comic Football Match in Kingsland; Photo Courtesy M. Sampson
Looks like Police were necessary even then to control the crowds ! :
0
Here is a photo which you may find interesting. We think it is of Brian Pettit’s grandfather (second on left) who was called Edward Kenneth Kinnell. We think he lived at Jubilee Cottage at the time the photo was taken (circa 1908) © David Kinnell (whom we thank for kindly sending us this fantastic old photo)
Waterloo Mill ; courtesy of the Markham family
Waterloo Mill ; courtesy of the Markham family
Another marching band
Another marching band
If anyone has any information on when, who and why that would be appreciated!
An unknown gentleman  - courtesy of Roger Brookes
An unknown gentleman - courtesy of Roger Brookes
If anyone can identify him, outside Ivy House, please let us know!
Wedding at Ivy House; courtesy of Roger Brookes
Wedding at Ivy House; courtesy of Roger Brookes
If anyone knows who the bridal party are we'd love to know please!
Harold Gough the wheelwright © Chris Chapman
Harold Gough the wheelwright © Chris Chapman
A transcript of a conversation with Harold will shortly be added to the Memories from the Past page. The photo was taken in the early 1970s and many thanks to Chris Chapman for allowing us to reproduce it from his book 'The Right Side of the Hedge'
George Cross cycling by the Methodist Chapel © Chris Chapman
George Cross cycling by the Methodist Chapel © Chris Chapman
George lived at Pencombestone near The Buzzards in Ledicot and this picture was taken in the early 1970s. Many thanks to Chris Chapman for letting us reproduce it from his book 'The Right Side of the Hedge'.
Mr William G Lewis and Percy in the Jubilee Wagon Works (now The Garth); courtesy of the Markham family
Mr William G Lewis and Percy in the Jubilee Wagon Works (now The Garth); courtesy of the Markham family
Mr William G Lewis in the blacksmiths at Jubilee Wagon Works dated 1947; courtesy of the Markham family
Mr William G Lewis in the blacksmiths at Jubilee Wagon Works dated 1947; courtesy of the Markham family
Mr Lewis outside The Garth when it was the Jubilee Wagon Works; courtesy of the Markham family
Mr Lewis outside The Garth when it was the Jubilee Wagon Works; courtesy of the Markham family